Thursday, November 29, 2007


Interesting night last night. My sleep study.
Arrived at 7.30pm the girl (never got her name) said "Hello, you will be in room 2, here is the decaffinated coffee and breakfast if you want it. Please change into your pj's"

What now? Are you for real.. so in my jammies at about 8pm. I'm not a fan of being *exposed* in semi public.

Then it was my time to be wired up. Sitting in a chair the technician with a measuring tape - she drew on my scalp to get the right position for the electrodes. Once all of the positions were marked she applied some goop then stuck the electrodes. Then a sticker on the middle of my forehead. Some around my eyes and around the mouth.

Sat in the "lounge" got a decaf coffee. Watched the end of Farmer Wants a Wife. When it was over, everyone asked what do you want to watch everyone said they didn't care, so I suggested the Chaser. I won and ended up being the only one in the lounge, everyone else went to bed. BTW there were 6 of us.

Then I went to my room - which ended up being room 6. I sat in the chair and read for a little bit. Then one of the technicians came in and asked what time I went to bed. She wanted to wire me up (MORE???). So I did go to bed. Got some new electrodes on my chest, two bands around my middle and 4 on my legs. THEN she put oxygen prongs up my nose - they are the MOST uncomfortable things in the world. Most of the people who have sleep studies are there for sleep apnoea. I also needed a oxygen saturation "peg" which they taped to my middle finger, here as I write this I still have a sore finger and a slight pressure spot on it. BOOHOO.

I read for a little bit, then decided to attempt to sleep. Managed it alright actually. Had a couple of bouts of restless legs, but not what I have at home. I do toss and turn - which is quite hard when you have HEAPS of wires hanging off of me. Only dislodged one.

About 4.30 there was a HUGE bang where they are demolishing part of the hospital. The bloke came in at 6am, woke me up, disconnected me and sent me on my way!

That is my story of the sleep study. Thanks for listening.


jotcr2 said...

Thanks for telling.

Jess said...

Hi Christy. I do read your blog quite often and I really hope you can get a solution for your restless legs. I know I had it very mildly both times I was pregnant and I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to have it day in and day out.