Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sorry

Today is a pretty big day in Australia's history. Finally the government has said "sorry" for the stolen generation. I think every single school child watched the speech.

Mark said to me yesterday, "What do you think is important about tomorrow?" and it was the Sorry Day speech. He was very excited to get to school to watch it with his friends. More importantly he was interested in what it meant and why Kevin Rudd had to say sorry = he didn't do it.
I think that is why so many Aussies have a problem with the apology, why should be apologize for something we didn't do, or that was done with the best of intentions at the time. Well it still doesn't make it right. I'm happy that we as a nation have apologised, it was necessary. I might not be coherent in what I'm talking about, but I wanted my tiny two cents worth.

The photo came from the ABC website. I tried to find one of some Aboriginal people, but then decided against it.

No comments: