Thursday, May 23, 2013

This is Me - Challenge.

Thankfully there is no time frame for this one.  Wasn't able to do the photo a day challenge... but


This is a history of me.  There are many parts to this challenge.  I found it on Pinterest (my newest obsession). 
The full set of questions can be found here.  Over the coming weeks and months and I will compile the answers and come up with a full history of me!

Your birth and family: 
*What is your full name and how did you get that name?  Do you have any nicknames?

*What are your parent's full names and birth dates and places?

*What is the date of your birth?  Where were you born?  What are some of the circumstances (when your mom went in to labor, how long, her doctor, your dad fainting, etc.) of your birth?

*What are your sibling's full names and birth dates?

*How was your relationship with your siblings and parents?

*What are some lessons you learned from you parents?

*How did you help in your home?  



Part one: 
* My name was originally Christy Dawn Lantz.  The history of the my name - that I know - is that mum was reading a book called "Christy" by Catherine Marshall, and fell in love with the qualities of the character.  She was a school teacher/missionary, so I've always had a lot to live up to.  Dawn was just a favourite name and surprisingly Lantz is my dad's surname.  Lantz was always problematic, the spelling is all wrong, everyone wants to do Lance, but its the peculiar spelling which I believe is German in origin.  Never had any real nicknames, Jocelyn calls me Reg sometimes and my high school friend Kellie always calls me Chris.  Otherwise my name is Christy or Mum.

* My mum was originally Rosemary Anne Lill, she was born in Ashburton in New Zealand back in the olden days in 1938.

My dad is Gilford Brian Lantz, but has always been known as Brian, never understood why people do that, give their kids a first name that will never be used.  The thing these days is slightly different.  Call their daughter Amelia, but always call them Millie.  Seriously call your daughter Millie if that is what you want to call them.  In Ben's swimming class there is - Maddison (Maddy), Ezekial (Izzy), Millicent (Millie) it makes for a confused bunch of kids.  Dad was born in 1942 in (I'm guessing) Nova Scotia in Canada.

* I love my birth story, its unusual and kind of cool.  My parents met in Germany in 1972, mum was on a working holiday around Europe with her BFF Betty (who just passed away last week), they were working in a canteen where the Canadian soldiers purchased their food.  Their eyes met and it was love at first sight.  My parents married in Bath in England (a very romantic setting).  Then they moved back to Lahr in Germany where dad was stationed and I was born in the military hospital there.  I don't know the full story of my birth, dad was not there - it wasn't customary for husbands to be there in the 1970s and mum had a difficult labour and I was quite unwell at birth, I was in the special care nursery for a week, which meant I wasn't able to be breastfed (an interesting point, how times have changed).  We stayed in Germany until I was about one year old when we moved to Canada.


* My sister, Jocelyn Fay was born 19 months after me.  She arrived in Nova Scotia in 1975.  We were very close as children, like twins.  We did everything together were each others best friends.  This lasted until I had Mark and then we drifted apart for some time. We are back to being very close but we are very different.


* I'm very close to my mother, sometimes is worries me how dependant I am on her.  I've been pleased that in the last two months we have spent quite a lot of time apart, unable to talk on the daily basis that we do and my life didn't fall apart.  My relationship with dad is different to mum, he's not a talker.  But he will listen to me when I get carried away (which is often)

* Lessons... oh I don't know.  My parents are gorgeous people, very generous, friendly and helpful.  If I could be half the person they are, I'll be doing great.  I'd love to know how mum controlled Jo and I growing up.  Goodness knows I need help.

* We had chores.  Always helped with the dishes, kept our rooms in order, I did the grocery shopping with mum on Thursdays evenings.  Other than that I can't recall.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have no idea how I came across your blog - I think I followed your comment on A Beautiful Mess - however, I grew up about 20km away from Lahr where you were born. Global village, huh?

Miriam