Wednesday, November 13, 2013

More baking

Tonight's projects:




Home made granola - adapted from Joy of Baking. This is definitely not the pretty version of this recipe, but I've made it so many times now that I just add my own things.  My recipe is:

3 cups of rolled oats (every recipe says not instant, but I'm not sure why)
3/4 cup of slivered almonds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup coconut - coarse grind if you've got it
A sprinkle of chia seeds
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of cinnamon
Pour over 1/2 cup of golden syrup and 3 tablespoons of oil
Mix well and spread on a roasting tray, cook at 180C for around 20mins.
I tend to cook until it smells really yummy.  I burned it once, so ever since it has always been a little blonde.
Then chop of some dried fruit, this time I added about 6 dried sliced apple (chopped up) and a big handful of prunes chopped up.
It makes a really dense mixture and its totally delicious and I end up eating too much, so I "watered" it down with some Rice Bubbles.



Then I made a meatloaf for tomorrow nights dinner.  This time adapted from Nigella Lawson's site.  I still have quite a few tubs of sausage meat, so I defrosted one of those and a package of minced pork/veal mix.  1 egg, salt and pepper and two slices of stale bread.  Mix and mush until all combined.  Oh and Worcestershire sauce.  Lay down a bed of meat, then put 3 boiled eggs along it, then put the other half of the meat until its all covered.  Then the best bit - BACON - I swaddled the whole thing in bacon (I'm even starting to sound like Nigella now.


Finally, I made my mini pumpkin pies.  No adapting this time, a straight steal from here.
1 15oz can of pumpking (huh? can?? I boiled up a piece of pumpkin and then mashed it, then I used my "you beaut" scales and found out what the heck 15oz is - around one cup I would assume.)
1 can of sweetened condensed milk (yummmm)
2 large eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger (oops didn't have any of this, left it out)
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/3 tsp salt
1 unbaked pie crust (I made my own pastry!)

Pastry - taken from Betty's Kitchen which is a YouTube channel.  She doesn't have written recipes you have to watch her very long (about 10 mins) videos to get the recipe.

Anywhoo I put the pastry in a small flan tin and then popped about one cup of the pumpkin mix into it, slid it into the oven at 210C and baked for about 20 mins.  They look amazing, currently sampling and it tastes bloody beautiful too...







No comments: